Sunday Sampler Jan. 5, 2020

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season! Hard to believe it’s 2020!! Stay tuned to the blog regularly for all the new happenings at Meredith Images and the Peacock Studio this year!

This week’s Sunday Sampler has some dramatic sky overlays! Yesterday had the BEST skies – stormy and pouring to the East and clearing blue skies and puffy white clouds to the West! I took some shots of the edge of the storm system, and just as I was getting ready to post this blog, Dave noticed the great sun rays coming through the clouds – so I added one of those too!

This kind of texture/overlay is great when you have a really blah gray/white sky. Overlay one of these, mask if needed off of your subject, and voila, an interesting sky for your image. Here’s an example:

A shot of the Baltimore skyline from a water taxi:

While it wasn’t truly an overcast day, the day was hazy and lacked color.

There are two ways to use the overlay:
1) Lay the sky over the image, reduce the opacity so you can see the image below, and use a layer mask to mask the sky off the subject.
2) If you have lots of hard edges in your subject (like in this image), make a selection of your subject then hit Control+J to copy the selection to a new layer. Bring in the sky overlay between the two layers.

Screen shot of my layers.

Finished image – has much more “punch” than the original!

NEW SUNDAY SAMPLER GROUP IN THE PEACOCK STUDIO STORE!

Group 7 = 93 Textures & Backgrounds

You can always download at least 6 months of Sunday Samplers through the blog.

Once 12 months have passed, I bundle the oldest 6 months of Samplers and place them in the Peacock Studio for sale. This group is from Jan.-June, 2019. You can still download July-December 2019 through the blog posts.

Sunday Sampler Groups are regularly priced at $15 each, but you can grab the newest bundle for 33% off through Monday, Jan. 6th! CLICK HERE!

AND, if you are a new reader to the blog, you can grab an extra special deal – all 7 Sunday Sampler Groups, regularly priced at $90, also 33% off through Jan. 6th! CLICK HERE for the deal!

USE THE COUPON CODE
NEWYEARBUNDLES
at checkout to save 33%!

8 thoughts on “Sunday Sampler Jan. 5, 2020

  1. Hi Hazel: Happy New Year to you and David.  The link for the Sunday Sampler Group 7 took me to a Topaz Holiday Sale page. Than ks, Paul Smith

  2. Hi Hazel,

    I didn’t see the link in the email for the Sunday Sampler’s free textures…is that because this is called overlays and they are not the “free Sunday ones”

    Please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Diane

  3. I don’t see a link for the Sunday Sampler.

    Thanks, Nancy

    *25% of what you eat keeps you alive; the other 75% keeps your doctor alive.* ~ Egyptian proverb

    *We either make time for wellness, or we will be forced to make time for illness. **~ *Dr. Patrick Quillin

    On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 8:45 AM Meredith Images Blog wrote:

    > meredithimages posted: ” HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope everyone had a wonderful > holiday season! Hard to believe it’s 2020!! Stay tuned to the blog > regularly for all the new happenings at Meredith Images and the Peacock > Studio this year! This week’s Sunday Sampler has some dr” >

Comments are closed.